In this tutorial, we will know the basics of computer networking.
Multiple devices, also known as hosts, that are connected via multiple channels for the purpose of sending and receiving data or media. Computer networks can also comprise a variety of devices or mediums that help two or more machines communicate; these are Network devices, and include routers, switches, hubs, and bridges, among other things.
The following networking elements are included in a computer network:
At least two PCs are required.
It doesn’t matter if the transmission is wired or wireless.
Protocols are a set of rules that control how people communicate.
The Network Operating System (NOS) is a type of network software.
Types of Computer Networks:
- LAN (Local Area Network, we use it in a small office or a building)
- PAN (Personal Area Network, it is basically the smallest network)
- MAN (Metropolitan Area Network, it covers over a city)
- WAN (Wide Area Network, it covers over a country)
- VPN (Virtual Private Network, only for authorized users)
Network topology is the configuration of the various devices in a network. For instance, Bus, Star, Mesh, Rin, and Daisy chain topology.
Computer Networking Criteria:
A. Performance ( We calculate it in terms of transit and response times. The time it takes for a message to go from one device to another is basically transit time. The period between an enquiry and a response is the response time.)
B. Reliability (We quantify it in terms of failure frequency, recovery from failures, overall performance and robustness during catastrophe)
C. Security (It entails safeguarding data against illegal access.)
Uses of Computer Network:
1. Resource Sharing – Resource sharing generally refers to the sharing of resources. For example programs, printers, and data among users on a network without regard to the resource’s and user’s physical locations.
2. Server-client Model – The server-client model makes advantage of computer networking. A server is a computer and we use it for storing data. To point out, system administrator manages it. Clients are the machines that connect to the server remotely to access data.
3. Communication Medium – A computer network serves as a means of communication between users. A company with several computers, for example, might have an email system that employees use on a daily basis.
4. E-commerce – In enterprises, computer networks are equally crucial. We’ll be able to conduct business on the internet. Amazon.com, for example, is a web-based retailer.